Affirmations are a simple and helpful technique to switch your mind from getting stuck in loops of destructive messages and tune into creative, constructive thought patterns instead. If you are unfamiliar with affirmations at all, go to google and search for “Introduction to Affirmations.”
If you are familiar with how to use affirmations and would like to see how to use them as a tool for writing, stick around – this will be helpful!
- Combine Affirmations with deep breathing. Say your affirmations aloud as your day begins and then throughout the day. A good rule of thumb for timing is before standard meal times and right before sleep.
- Use Affirmations as a free flow writing warm up. If you use a relatively short affirmation (seven words or less) simply write the affirmation on your page repeatedly for a minute and then see where your pencil, pen or fingers on the keyboard wants to go. Follow the flow of the energy after you have affirmed yourself as a writer and usually the difference in what you write is nothing short of astonishing.
- Do the classic mirror work: look into the mirror and speak your affirmations aloud to your reflection. Smile at yourself as you would smile at your best friend. While this technique gets a lot of flack, try it at least 5 times to see if it makes a difference for you. If it doesn’t fine, move along and say you tried.
- Use several short writing affirmations in a row, like an affirmation chorus. There are days when general affirmations work or other days when affirmations about starting, completion, editing or revision work best.
- Start and continue. When you fall down, get back up and start and continue again. The world is waiting for your words. Today, play with writing your affirmation and then flow into free flow/brain dump writing for five minutes like I did below.
Let me know how it goes! Now: here are my words, fresh off my paper – #5for5BrainDump style which means no editing, no forethought, just allowing my energy to move the words ontot he page.
I am blessed with sweet satisfaction when I complete my writing projects.
I am blessed with joy and fulfillment every time I sit to write for five minutes and allow the words to move through me rather than control each letter, each vowel, each consonant. Funny, isn’t it, how when I let go of the control, not only does the flow feel better but most of the time the meaning, rhythm and sound gets better, too.
I am blessed with exhilaration when people read my work and appreciate it and tell me.
I am blessed with smiles of connection when people read my work and feel themselves in it: they not only know who I am (this is less important) they know more of who they are.
I am thrilled to dive deeper with rewriting my narrative: looking at the facts from a space of love amps up my awareness of the sacred in everyday. Some people call this magic, some miracles, some are too deep in their to-do lists to even notice AND it feels so good to share the stories.
I am blessed with friends who listen, who do lift my chin, who cherish what I am up to and reflect back to me the goodness and beauty in what I create. I feel valued and not leeched upon. I feel precious because I am precious.
I am overflowing with ideas to bring what I am remembering into concrete, working forms to serve the world and make it a more welcoming, more growth, more constructive and creative place.
I am blessed with sweet satisfaction when I make progress.
I am happy – so happy – in seeing this single page fill up. I am grateful to hear my son’s footsteps outside my room and not rush in to see what he needs but give him the gift of self awareness and personal responsibility knowing HE can take care of it.
I am grateful for timers that ring – and realize in just five minutes I learn and grow in unfathomably wondrous ways.
Julie Jordan Scott inspires people to experience artistic rebirth via her programs, playshops, books, performances and simply being herself out in the world. She is a writer, creative life coach, speaker, performance poet, Mommy-extraordinaire and mixed media artist whose Writing Camps and Writing Playgrounds permanently transform people’s creative lives. Watch for the announcement of new programs coming soon!
Contact Julie now to schedule a Writing or Creative Life Coaching Session, call or text her at 661.444.2735.